Biscuits and Gravy
An all-time favorite breakfast class, Biscuits and Gravy is one of our go-to meals on the farm. It's a simple recipe with a short ingredient list. If you really want to go the extra mile, you can make the biscuits from scratch, but if you're typically in a pinch for time, you can purchase them from your local bakery or from your local grocer's frozen aisle!
• 1 lb deutsch family farm breakfast sausage
• 1/3 c all-purpose flour
• 3 to 4 c whole milk, more to taste
• 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
• 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, more to taste
• biscuits, warmed, for serving
1. Break sausage into small pieces and add them in a single layer to a large heavy skillet. Brown the sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
2. Sprinkle on half the flour and stir so that the sausage soaks it all up, then add more little by little. Stir it around and cook it for another minute or so, then pour in the milk, stirring constantly.
3. Cook the gravy, stirring frequently, until it thickens. (This may take a good 10 to 12 minutes.) 4. Sprinkle in the seasoned salt and pepper and continue cooking until very thick and luscious. If it gets too thick too soon, just splash in another 1/2 cup of milk or more if needed. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
5. Spoon the sausage gravy over warm biscuits and serve immediately!